Welcome to the April 2016 newsletter.
As many of you
will be aware, in January we held elections for the MGAA board.
Following the elections, we were pleased to confirm 2 new directors Mark
Birrell, chief executive of Castel Underwriting, and Charles
Manchester, chief executive of Manchester Underwriting Management.
Charles and Mark join Catherine Bell, Charles Earle, James Gerry, and Jeff Turner, who were all re-elected to the board.
member-elected directors are joined by representatives from the
Association’s market practitioner and supplier membership. Keith Stern,
regional manager, Lloyd’s, was re-elected as supplier representative and
Bill O’Malley, senior vice president, Arch Insurance Group remains as
market practitioner representative until his current term ends in
The board also
includes directors representing the Association’s two largest full MGA
members by gross written premium – Mike Keating -UK General and Tom
Downey - Pen Underwriting.
Gerry, GB Underwriting, was elected as Chairman of the MGAA Board in
March. Further details on the Board and Chairman can be viewed here.
Our thanks go to
Reg Brown, Sian Fisher, Nicholas Hales and Darren Doherty for all their
hard work and commitment during their time on the Board.
In February and March, we:
- Held a meeting with Flood Re to identify issues prior to their authorisation and ceding arrangements
- Responded to FCAs DP15/7 paper on SMEs using financial services
- Discussed with interested parties issues around MGA audits and duplication of data capture
- Held General meeting in the Old Library, Lloyd’s of London
- Met with tax advisors for a discussion of how tax affects an association and membership costs
- Held market briefing on TOM [Target Operating Model] and how the insurance market is developing 21st century technology
- Represented the MGA sector at the CII president’s dinner in London
- Held meeting with CII regarding specific training and education programs for MGAs
- Held “Shape & Share” briefing on Conduct Risk
- Ran the second learning & development program in Lloyd’s for member’s staff
- Held meeting with LMA to build a closer working relationship